Saturday, July 18, 2009

how to make Chilaquiles Guillermo

For a single serving, because your sweetie is away (*sniff*):

1. Take two or three corn tortillas and cut them into sixths.

2. Onions or garlic? Both is a fine answer, but I went with 4 cloves of garlic and do not regret it.

3. Fry the garlic or onions in some olive oil with the tortilla triangles.

4. Add some broccoli. (Spinach would also be awesome.)

5. Crack an egg into the mix and scramble it.

6. Hey, there's some cheddar in the fridge. Add that, too.

7. Pour in some salsa.

8. Stir occasionally until the egg is cooked and the cheese has melted.

9. Be sad because your sweetie isn't there to share the awesomeness. But plan to fix it again when she comes home.

I typed that while eating the chilaquiles. Now I am full, but I am also glad that I have all of the ingredients to make it again for breakfast.

and later: The second batch was satisfying, but not quite as. Maybe it was just Take Two Disappointment. But I think I threw off the balance by using up the last four tortillas; I should've used two and saved the other two. Also, I used onion instead of garlic, and there's nothing exactly wrong with that, but the garlic really was wonderful. And maybe I should've cooked the tortilla wedges a little longer before adding the other ingredients. When I did it the first time, I turned the tortilla pieces to make sure they were all basted in olive oil. This time, I was a bit hastier.

I may not try experiment three before Emma returns, because she likes dairy products in the house, and my instinct is more vegan. Hmm. Or maybe I'll try a vegan version....