Thursday, September 24, 2009

skillet pizza: roasted chiles



I've been making pizza in a skillet lately because I'm lazy:

1. If you use commercial pizza dough (cheap and good from Trader Joe's), set it out to warm up about half an hour before Step 2. I flatten the dough in the bag so it will begin to relax.

2. About half an hour before you want to eat, start heating the oven to 450 degrees F.

3. Spread olive oil in the bottom of the skillet.

4. Put the dough in the skillet and flatten it.

5. Cut open the awesome roasted chiles that you got from a chile festival (or roasted outdoors on a grill) and wash them, rubbing away the burned bit and seeds.

6. Chop the chiles.

7. Flatten the dough in the skillet again.

8. Pour on spaghetti or pizza sauce. Add your favorite seasonings; I usually go with garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne.

9. Add your toppings. In this case, I just went with one or two chiles and a few handfulls of cheddar and parmesan soy cheeses.

10. Bake for about eight minutes, look in the oven so you feel responsible, then bake for a few minutes more to get a nice crust.

Nomnomnom!

P.S. Make sure your skillet is safe to use in an oven! I use cast iron, so I don't have to worry about that.