Sunday, October 18, 2009

update on Sony Pocket Reader, plus thinking about ebooks

I continue to be fond of the Sony Pocket Reader, and I still can't recommend it. I keep thinking it should cost about $50. Okay, $99.99. (Yes, I'm old and cheap.) I don't mind the flicker as pages change—what's annoying to me is not being able to make notes and correct files. (Google's free books have more typos from the scanning process than I like, and no easy way to fix them, which infuriates this one-time copy editor.) The second annoying thing is the Pocket Reader doesn't play audio files. I don't expect it to be a multimedia player, but in the modern age, books are to be read or heard.

I'll be diving into epubbing soon. Some useful reading:

Mark Coker: Why E-Books are Hot and Getting Hotter

Mark Coker: Why We Need $4.00 Books

A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Kindle Numbers: Traditional Publishing Vs. Self Publishing

Steve Ross: "Can't We All Just Get Along?" -- A Manifesto of Sorts

Chip O'Brien: Why New Books Don't Sell on the Kindle: The Price of the Intangible

The Daily Beast Seeks to Speed Up the Publishing Process for Books -