Friday, December 4, 2009

why isn't Midnight Girl with a major publisher?

For over a year, it sat with a great editor at a major house who wanted to buy it. She said:
I don't just love it, I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Cat is one of the most kick-ass heroines I've ever come across. And talk about conflict and things at stake! (I keep having to tell authors to beef up the conflict because there's never enough.) First [spoiler deleted]. Then [spoiler deleted]. And *then* she has to make an impossible choice between two equally horrible fates. I love every single character in the book, even Ms. Arkan. I couldn't put the manuscript down. I devoured it in one sitting. Anyway, that's how much I love it.
Alas, her boss did not like it. Because she was so excited, I did a rewrite. The boss still did not like it. So my agent sent it out to a number of houses, and in every case, the results were mixed. Here's a note I just got from my agent:
I was on the phone today with one of the editors at [Major Publishing House]. He loved Midnight Girl, and went to bat for it. The word he used was "brilliant." Unfortunately, powers that be felt otherwise. But at least you now know that it did have an in-house fan. He's a young up-and-comer, so I've made a note for future work of yours.
Clearly, I have to learn how to write for publishing's old farts.

ETA: Info about Midnight Girl for free or pay here.