Tuesday, April 13, 2010

a little more on Huey Long

I was wondering if Long was racist, which, I grant, is a tricky call to make in Louisiana in the '30s, which was a mighty racist place. I conclude he wasn't. In addition to doing a lot to help the poor in general, there's this:
Long implemented an adult literacy program in Louisiana that largely served African-Americans, despite the racism of the overwhelming white majority.
But the most thorough response I found is at Perspectives on Huey Long - The Politics of Racism, which concludes:
In 1934, the Klan’s “imperial klonvocation” in Atlanta denounced Huey Long for having “an un-American attitude” toward “authority.” When the organization’s leader vowed to campaign against Long, Huey responded from the Senate press gallery, “Quote me as saying that that Imperial bastard will never set foot in Louisiana,” and suggested that the man risked receiving a taste of the Klan’s own treatment by leaving the state with “his toes turned up.”