Thursday, April 15, 2010

andropause and the male brain

Andropause is a relatively new and controversial word. The simplest definition of it makes sense to me: as men age, we change. Having a word for those changes seems useful.

And being aware of andropause is another reason for me to exercise a little more and eat a little more conscientiously.

The Author Speaks: Explaining, Understanding Men - Interview With Dr. Louann Brizendine, Author of 'The Male Brain' - AARP Bulletin Today: "I’ve become much more forgiving of men. I grew up in the feminist movement, at UC Berkeley, in the 1970s. Our view of men was pretty negative at the time. They were the enemy. That tonality has really softened in me because of what I’ve learned through my research. You want to see the world from the perspective of the people you love. And for mothers of boys, or for grandmothers of boys, the brain science can help us move in that direction."

Book Excerpt - ‘The Male Brain: A Breakthrough Understanding of How Men and Boys Think’ - AARP Bulletin Today: "Why men may become more patient, doting as they age"