Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'm glad I didn't buy an ipad today

I went to the Apple Store intending to buy an iPad today. We shouldn't spend money now, but I looked at the numbers of people buying it (500,000), and I thought about the ebook market, and I concluded I should get one for the sake of the small press we're starting (for Shadow Unit and our stuff that's out of print).

But when I got down there and played with it, well, it was just a toy.

And the store was packed with hipsters and yuppies in clothes that cost more than mine.

And I started thinking about how $600 could change a poor person's life.

And I walked out.

When I got back, I saw this: Apple App Store Bans Pulitzer-Winning Satirist for Satire | Epicenter | Wired.com

We'll probably get our work into the Apple Store. But we don't need an iPad to do that.