Thursday, April 22, 2010

update

Back from the doc. He thinks the blemish on my cheek is natural, but he'll have a dermatologist look at it. I talked over my depression concerns. He doesn't think there's anything to support St. John's Wort, flax seed oil, or 5-HTP*, but he thought there might be something to the B-12 theory, so I gave blood and will get the result in a week. In the meantime, I'll continue to research this and walk a little more often. (And get back to my ukulele therapy. Hobbies do seem to help enormously.)

* For the folks these things work for, I'll note that the doc didn't dismiss them out of hand. He just said none of the best studies have shown anything conclusive. I think if they're good for you, cool.

A Desk That Allows You to Stand or Sit - NYTimes.com makes me want a high-tech desk. I'm still using my old Ikea desk that I turned into a standing desk a few days ago. I moved a tall chair next to it so I can switch between sitting and standing in an old tech way. I would include a picture, but the system isn't ready for primetime yet: it's an inch or two lower than would be ergonomically sound, making me feel like the typist equivalent of guitar players and gunfighters who sling their weapons low. Still, I like it.

The Gettysburg Powerpoint Presentation (Thanks, partly_bouncy!)