Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Strange Fruit by Kenan Malik, a book I should read

“Strange Fruit” by Kenan Malik: A polemic against racism and identity politics. Don't skip the quote in the end notes from Darwin. (via Steve Brust)

From on strange fruit, an essay by Kenan Malik: "For 20 years I have been exploring the idea of race as a biologist, a historian and an antiracist activist. But two development over the past decade made me realise that I needed to rethink my attitudes to human differences." And "Liberal antiracism has not only helped resurrect racial thinking. It has also become increasingly hostile to traditional notions of science, knowledge and freedom of thought - as the Watson row revealed. And this is perhaps the most paradoxical aspect of the new race debate - that in challenging the irrationality of racial science, liberal antiracists have become so irrational themselves."