Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mike Resnick's "The 43 Antarean Dynasties" as seen by N. K. Jemisin and me

At Mike Resnick and Africa : Apex Book Company, Michael A. Burstein takes a look at Resnick's African stories. N. K. Jemisin enters the comments to disagree strongly. Some of her assumptions seemed immediately suspect, but I hadn't read "The 43 Antarean Dynasties," so I couldn't respond to what she said about it.

Last night, I read the story. This morning, I added my thoughts about it to the comment section.

The quick version about the story: The premise is slight if you know anything about tourists, but the conclusion is very nice.

The quick version about N. K. Jemisin: Her assumptions made her see "whiteness" that isn't in the text, and most strangely, made her assume the narrator was "inscrutable" even though the reason the story works is because the narrator is so very scrutable.