Sunday, June 13, 2010

moderation policy

As a Unitarian-Universalist, I believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every person. As a civil libertarian, I believe in free speech. This is my attempt to reconcile those beliefs on my blogs:

You have a right to disagree vehemently with anyone's ideas. You do not have a right to attack anyone's sense of identity. This means you do not have a right to call them names, feminize or masculinize or in any way misgender them, or mock their name, race, class, religion, ethnicity, or nationality. These are only examples of how I expect the principle to be applied; it is not a complete list.

If you behave in a way that does not respect someone's identity, I will ask you to read my moderation policy. If I fail to do the same, I hope you will ask the same of me.

ETA 1: I just don't like banning, so I won't. If I decide you're a troll, I won't feed you.

ETA 2: As I said elsewhere: "If free speech at my blog makes you uncomfortable, sorry, but freedom is my culture."