Saturday, October 23, 2010

You can call me Niggerlover

In a recent discussion, Kynn asked me not to call her "Dude," and then called me "William", which no one has ever done. I said I preferred "Will" or "Shetterly" or "Your Awesomeness." But I forgot to add that "Niggerlover" is fine, too. That's what racists called me when they beat me back during the civil rights struggle, so I earned it with blood. And after taking the race test at Project Implicit, I found I'm in the surprisingly large minority of white people who have an implicit preference for black folks, so it's very accurate.

Hmm. Which makes it a little surprising that I ended up with a white woman. There is a black woman in my romantic history who I often wished I could see again.

But then, there was a black guy who never knew Emma had a crush on him. Maybe her crush and mine are very happy together now, but once in a while, they think wistfully of us....

That made me think of jungle fever, so I googled it, and found this, which I do not remember from 1972:

YouTube - Jungle Fever - The Chakachas (1972)

(Warning: It's not very good. But it was a top 100 hit, apparently, and I find it an interesting look at an odd time.)

I was more of a Moody Blues fan then:

YouTube - The Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin´67

(Yes, that's from '67, but it was a hit in '72. Go figure.)

And when I think of sexy songs from that year, I got to add this:

YouTube - The Hollies - Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress

But I liked me some James Brown too:

YouTube - James Brown - Good Foot / S Power / Make It Funky (ST 1973)

If you don't like it, skip to around a minute and 45 seconds and watch the man move.

"Said the long hair hippies and the afro blacks
They all get together across the tracks
And they party..."

ETA: This post went weird. I started it wanting to write something profound about insults and love, because I've always thought "niggerlover" was a bizarre insult, especially in an ostensibly Christian culture. But I just wasn't in the mood for serious. So, apologies for making a Jackson Pollock kind of post. Maybe these thoughts will cohere into something more satisfying someday.

If nothing else, you can try to figure out how a man who dances as well as James Brown could have such awful hair.