Monday, December 13, 2010

Noam Chomsky is rich

Noam Chomsky has a bit about the very profitable business of criticizing capitalism.

I admire Chomsky, but he doesn't really interest me. I think academics and theorists are important, but they lose sight of one of Marx's most important observations: "Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

I can't blame Chomsky for being very careful about his wealth, but I wish he would live as if the future he wants has arrived. For most of us, that'd be a luxury. But Chomsky could afford to keep less and give more to organizations promoting a better future.

Well. We all have a little hypocrite in us. Just makes us human.

And I confess, if I was rich, I dunno who I would give my money to right now. I think I'd give it all to starting a US labor party.

via The Crow's Eye: The Noam.