Saturday, December 18, 2010

three questions @jsmooth995 @sadydoyle

1. For all of my professional writing life, I've been writing about race and gender, and I've been praised for it. See Ellen Kushner's comment about Dogland or the feministsf wiki's claim that my "work features strong women characters and people of color." But since I added class to my concerns, people like you say I'm racist and sexist and someone who thinks we live in a post-racial America. Can you offer any quotes of mine to to support what you claim?

(If you're thinking of the selective quotes at Coffeeandink's site, my reply is here. The short version: In all of those cases, I was pointing out class to people who were ignoring it.)

2. You love to talk about other people's privilege, but you don't talk about your own class privilege. A quick google reveals that Jay Smooth attended some private schools, and Sady Doyle has articles published by mags that are, in your terms, institutionally classist, where the percentage of writers from expensive private schools is remarkably disproportionate. What private schools were you privileged to attend?

3. Can you provide any links to any of your work where you discuss class in any depth?