Thursday, December 16, 2010

Time to leave Blogger? Plus, what's the true self?

Everyone Uses E-mail, But Blogging Is On the Decline [STUDY]

I'm thinking about shutting down this old blog and just doing Facebook and Twitter. I dunno if that would mean I would blog less, but I might blog differently. I'm not crazy about Facebook, but I like its commenting system better than Blogger's.

And I like one aspect of its culture a great deal: you're expected to use your legal name there. I think that makes commenters a litte more, well, human. There's a saying by Oscar Wilde that I dislike because it's incomplete: "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." Sometimes that's true. Other times, masked people take on personas that are less themselves. To use possibly outdated psychology terms, the masked self can be either id or superego. The true self is the gestalt self.