Thursday, February 17, 2011

posessions possess you

Some people love getting stuff. I love getting rid of stuff. Some people love to be surrounded by things. I love to be surrounded by space. The greedy take what they can. The wise take what they need. Everything we keep is part of a prison we build for ourself. If you love your prison, your love isn't freedom; it's acceptance of imprisonment.

Can you guess that I'm visiting my mother-in-law's home? I love her, and I like her home, but she has lived like a middleclass American in the vague US suburban sense for most of her adult life. Now that her health requires a change in her living circumstances, I'm very aware of all the things she has that she can't take care of.

If you have more than you can take care of by yourself, you have too much.