Tuesday, August 23, 2011

what do failfans think "conversation" means?

I just had the following twitter exchange:




Stephanie Leary
ArmadilloCon comm: clueless or hilarious? They've put Shetterly as the moderator of the Class Issues In SF/F panel.



Will Shetterly

 I proposed it. The identity politics gang doesn't get to claim class is your issue, 'cause y'all usually ignore it.


Stephanie Leary
 ... I'm part of a gang? This is news to me.


Will Shetterly
 Then why are you amused at the idea of a panel about class?


Will Shetterly
 You're not among the folks who invoke "intersectionality" and then ignore class?


Stephanie Leary
 Oh, I'm not amused by the panel's existence. I'm amused at the idea of your being on it, much less moderating it.


Will Shetterly
 Yes, because you're among the folks who prefer to slight class issues. No worries. I'm amused by neolibs, so all's cool.


Stephanie Leary
 No, I just think your history shows that you're the last person to lead a useful discussion on this topic.


Will Shetterly
 Yup, 'cause neolibs hate people talking about class who know anything about it. Y'all are all about shutting down discussions.


Will Shetterly
 Given y'all's history of banning, black lists, and censoring con guests, what do you think "discussion" means?

Naturally, she ducked that question. Can anyone answer it?