Tuesday, August 9, 2011

why rich people hate looters

Because rich people are supposed to get luxuries with little effort, while poor people are supposed to get them by working long hours under lousy conditions for little pay. Really, is that so hard to understand?

2.  No, this does not mean I approve of looting. However, people who complain about looting are missing the important question.

3. This was inspired by reading about UK riots. I don't always agree with Richard Seymour--I think he's too susceptible to neoliberal arguments about identity politics--but I respect him, and this post is very good: LENIN'S TOMB: A crisis of ideology and political leadership.

4. In the comments, I found this map: Initial London riots / UK riots - Google Maps

In another discussion, I found a fellow arguing that police provocateurs don't exist--there are just one or two bad cops.

But provocateurs have existed for as long as there have been movements against bad governments. They exist for two reasons:
  1. Provocateurs make protests look like vandalism.
  2. Provocateurs make the police look necessary to protect nice people who accept the government from bad people who reject it.
I hope I don't have to do a post explaining false flag actions. Well, if you're not familiar with the concept, you could start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_flag

5. No one knows how much violence in riots is done by police provocateurs, but here, they were caught in action.