Friday, October 21, 2011

they're doing a class panel at World Fantasy Con!

Emma and I don't go to many science fiction and fantasy conventions anymore, but when we do, I suggest panels about class. I think the best was the last one, at Armadillocon, and the worst was at 4th Street Fantasy (because we blithely assumed it would be easy).

Now World Fantasy Con is doing one I proposed, and I feel that's a major victory for two reasons:

1. In terms of influence in the field, WFC is huge, arguably more important than World Con.

2. I'm not on the panel. If it works, it'll be because of the subject, not me. (But I will be in the audience to ask a helpful question, if I can.)

It's happening Thursday at 8pm:
Pacific 2/3: The Role of Class in Fantasy and Horror

Science fiction often deals with class conflict. How does fantasy and horror pursue the same concepts? Are vampires and elves the bourgeoisie? Are werewolves and orcs the working class? Who are the working class heroes of our genre?
John Hornor Jacobs, Jeff Mariotte (M), Kirstyn McDermott, Kari Sperring, Kathryn Sullivan
Y'know, it's a victory for three reasons:

3. World Fantasy's an expensive con, by f&sf standards. I'd bet it's got a higher percentage of folks in the top 1% than World Con.

ETA: My short post about "Class Issues in Science Fiction and Fantasy" at Armadillocon.