Tuesday, November 15, 2011

a black Snow White? plus Black Orpheus

Some antiracists are saying Snow White and the Huntsman looks too white. Now, I would think that identitarians would think making that story anything other than European in setting and cast would be "appropriation". I personally love cultural mashups, but I gotta say that complaining that a European tale is told too Euro is just too silly for me.

However, this reminded there's a black Snow White which you can find on online: Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarfs. I don't think that's quite what the antiracists want. Wikipedia has a good piece about it: Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs.

Three notes about the cartoon:

1. I don't think its handling of Snow White is racist, but its handling of Prince Charming is—at that time, white folks were more comfortable with sexually attractive black women than black men.

2. People who complain about the dialect may be revealing their class prejudice.

3. The music's great. Makes me want to find more songs sung by Dorothy Dandridge's sister and mom.

The issue of non-Euro casting in Euro tales makes me want to see Black Orpheus again; I have no idea how well it holds up, but I'm guessing it's still great.