Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Capitalism sucks: TurboTax "Free" costs more than "Freedom"

Just wasted a few hours because TurboTax makes it easy to trick users like me. I'm still not sure how I ended up starting with the "free" version rather than the "freedom" version, but that's irrelevant. I didn't know I'd made the wrong choice until it was time to enter business expenses, which the "free" version charges you for and the "freedom" version doesn't. So be sure you have the "Freedom" version before you start, because good people would make it easy to switch versions, but the logic of capitalism says the cheap choice never should be easy, so you have to start over from the beginning.

Insert rant here about crippleware and greedheads.

Recommended:

Should I Use TurboTax Freedom Edition?The Law Dictionary

turbo tax free versus freedom » readthisshit.com

P.S. There are more free options at Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free. Maybe I'll try another next year.