Thursday, April 11, 2013

my little post at the New York Times about Brad Paisley and LL Cool J's "Accidental Racist"

Why Elitists Hate the Brad Paisley and LL Cool J Duet - Room for Debate -

After I posted unpacking outrage: why elitists hate "Accidental Racist" by Brad Paisley and LL Cool J, I got email from the Times editor asking if I'd like to do about 300 words on the subject for them. In some ways, I prefer my original post, but I did my best to make myself clear for Times readers in the space I had. Alas, making yourself clear in 300 words on a subject like race may be impossible. You can do it in fewer words; I still stand by one of the things I said that gets quoted sometimes: “There are no scientific tests for race . . . blood is blood, and bone is bone. Race is a con game. Don't play.”

But given 300 words, I'm only writing an introduction to a much longer discussion.

Which may be the point.

The comments there are interesting. Emma said I shouldn't respond to any, and she's right, but I responded to a few anyway.