Thursday, June 13, 2013

all I needed to say about the SFWA Bulletin controversy

I left this comment at Science fiction authors attack sexism amid row over SFWA magazine:
It seems rather disingenuous not to mention that the most controversial issue also had a column by Jim C. Hines titled "Cover Art and the Radical Notion that Women are People". Traditionally, the SFWA Bulletin has let writers speak for themselves on the theory that it's better to have a dialogue than silence people. A diverse organization will have diverse views.
But while I blathered much too long in the comments at SFWA Bulletin Stuff: All I have are questions, it did inspire this, which I continue to like in the way writers like their writing too much:
When you silence speech that offends you, you become the power that truth must be spoken to.