Friday, November 1, 2013

Has the Ender's Game boycott been staged to increase sales?

I was just reading about a wacky conspiracy theory (our government's run by reptilians), so now I'm ready to propose one. The Ender's Game moviemakers have known for decades that Orson Scott Card's homophobia would be a public relations nightmare. Card has admitted that his side lost, but that doesn't make his haters hate him any less. So what do you do?

Until a few days ago, I had no interest in seeing the movie, partly because of Card's politics, but mostly because Hollywood scifi tends to disappoint me. If the movie had simply appeared, I would be ignoring it.

But there's a boycott. So instead of skipping articles about a movie which hadn't interested me, I'm reading about the boycott and finding smart pieces like The Director Of "Ender's Game" On Controversy, Creative Dissonance.

And now I'm tempted to see the movie.

Thanks to the boycott.

One way to deal with controversy is to take control of it. I dunno whether any of the boycotters are actually trying to increase sales, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are.

My take: There are many good reasons to boycott countries and corporations, but people who believe in free speech don't boycott art. If you do, you're on the side of the people who try to ban The Color Purple and Huckleberry Finn. Whenever you're tempted to adopt the tactics of the enemy, you haven't looked hard enough for a third choice.