Thursday, February 20, 2014

Everyone in a mobbing deserves the insanity defense

I left this comment at A Brief Comment Inspired by SFWA Stuff | The Dream Café:
For the record, I do think everyone in a mobbing deserves the insanity defense. It’s why I forgave everyone in Racefail. The hardest to forgive was myself. Here’s a quote I love about one of the US’s two most famous mobbings. Five years after the Salem witch hunts, jurors signed an apology saying, “…we also pray that we may be considered candidly and aright by the living sufferers as being then under the power of a strong and general delusion, utterly unacquainted with and not experienced in matters of that nature.” 
Someday, most of the people involved in fandom’s witch hunts will realize that they were “under the power of a strong and general delusion”