Wednesday, April 30, 2014

anyone should be able to tell that "social justice warrior" is ironic, unlike "social justice worker", but Poe's Law rules online

Just left this comment at bingo cards go both ways | Fredrik deBoer: "The distinction between the internet meme, “social justice warrior”, and the social justice worker who works in the world is crucial. I want to think anyone would realize a “warrior” for peace is an ironic term, but alas, it’s the internet, where Poe’s Law rules."

And since I'm on the subject, I've seen a person or two suggest I coined "social justice warrior". Nope. I'm not sure where I found it first, but it's been around a while. Urban Dictionary had it long before me, and so did Be a SJ Ally, not a SJ Sally. I don't like it, but it's common, and I haven't found another name for identitarians who think raging online about social privilege will make a better world. If I was prone to conspiracy theory, I would think they were all provocateurs trying to discredit the real social justice workers who spend time in the world working to end poverty for everyone, regardless of their social identity.