Sunday, June 15, 2014

Worship our awesome gender-inclusive editorizing!

I was thinking about the ongoing uproar in fandom over gender-proportionality in anthologies, and it made me wonder how Emma and I did with the Liavek anthologies. I just checked the line-up for the first volume:
Badu's Luck - Emma Bull
The Green Rabbit from S'Rian - Gene Wolfe
Ancient Curses - Patricia C. Wrede
Birth Luck - Nancy Kress
An Act of Contrition - Steven Brust
The Inn of the Demon Camel - Jane Yolen
The Hands of the Artist - Kara Dalkey
The Green Cat - Pamela Dean
A Coincidence of Birth - Megan Lindholm
Bound Things - Will Shetterly
The Fortune Maker - Barry B. Longyear
That's right. Seven women, four men. And until today, I never thought about what the gender line-up was, and I wouldn't have been surprised if it'd been the other way around.

Worship us, champions of gender diversity. Emma and I fucking rock, and we didn't even know it.

Yeah, it's a very white line-up, but we invited several writers of color—Emma and I were major Delany and Butler fanboys then. Ain't our fault they didn't have time to squeeze in stories for newbie editors. Charles Saunders gave us a story for the second volume, which was sweet.