Friday, July 17, 2015

Ant-Man mini-review, no spoilers

This is a fun movie, but it is not a smart movie. It went through two directors and four writers and who knows how many other hands, and the result is a pleasant, visually enjoyable, and surprisingly naive movie. Its racial casting is straight out of the 1970s, and so is its handling of gender.

Near-spoiler: there's a scene with the Falcon that's fun. That and some in-jokes pleased the fanboy in me.

Verdict: I did not regret going, but I would've waited for it to hit a second-run house if I'd known what I was going to get. This is a trailer movie: if you like the trailer, you won't be disappointed with what you get if you don't expect more.  Will-Bob gives it a B, and that's only because he's a fanboy. It probably deserves a B-.

Could it be fixed? See my next post, How I would script doctor Ant-Man.