Wednesday, November 11, 2015

An update on standing desks and ergonomics for writers

One of my popular posts continues to be my standing desk. For the last couple of years, I've been using a different reconfigured Ikea desk that's been discontinued, but now my work needs have changed, so I'm looking at new options.

Also, a friend mentioned that her boyfriend has been getting a lot of tension in his back while he works. The first thing I told her was that ergonomics matter. Many writers suffer physically for their art; I knew one who literally ruined his back meeting a deadline for a novel. If you don't want a standing desk, make sure your seated working arrangement is good and get up and stretch every hour or so. Ikea has a good short pdf on office ergonomics.

If I was getting a standing desk today, I would almost certainly choose Ikea's $269 US hand-crank SKARSTA Desk sit/stand:
If it wasn't a little large for my current work space, I would probably be on the LRT to Ikea to get one now. I'm hoping it'll be very popular so they'll make a smaller one.

If you're primarily a laptop user, the $49 US IKEA PS 2014 Standing laptop station looks promising.

Ikea also has a more expensive electric sit/stand desk, the BEKANT Desk, which has been both praised (IKEA Sit/Stand Desk Review: I Can't Believe How Much I Like This) and panned (IKEA Bekant Stand Up Desk Review).

Other interesting links:

A standing desk for $22

The Best IKEA Standing Desk Hacks | Lifehacker Australia

Is This The Cheapest Standing Desk Hack Yet? | Lifehacker Australia

DIY IKEA Standing Desks For Every Budget | Lifehacker Australia

(Why Google decided I was Australian, I haven't a clue.)

(And no, I don't get paid by Ikea. I'm just a fan of good cheap products.)

ETA: If you prefer to sit, consider switching from a chair to something like the NILSERIK Stool. I'm very fond of mine. (Y'know, Ikea should pay me.)