Thursday, April 28, 2016

Can anyone explain how I'm supposed to have doxed Nora Reed?

Just saw this tweet:

femme ex machina @NoraReed

special thanks to will shetterly and the fan club of people who hate me on metafilter for helping get me doxed again today~

Does anyone have a clue what that's about? So far as I know, I am alleged to have doxed one person in my life, someone who, at the time, was using her full legal name in public posts on her LJ that Google was sharing for anyone who could type her name into a search bar. But I haven't a clue what Reed's alluding to.

She does seem to like attention, so apologies if I took her bait.

ETA: If she means to include me with the people who hate her, I haven't noticed her enough to have much of any feelings about her and certainly have no reason to hate her. She's an identitarian, and I criticize identitarianism frequently, but I feel about identitarians the way I feel about Scientologists: they're wrong, and sometimes they do horrible things to defend their faith, but the problem ultimately is not with the individuals who've fallen for a simplistic understanding of the world.

ETA 2: Googled "Nora Reed Metafilter" and found she has been doxed, and she seems to be a fierce warrior for what she thinks is social justice, but I still haven't a clue what I'm supposed to have had to do with her doxing. Ah, well. It's a little flattering to think I'm Dalton Trumbo to the neoMcCarthyites.

ETA 3: So I vanity searched again and saw Nora had tweeted "will shetterly cannot figure out how to read tweet threads" which amused me because it meant she had vanity searched herself and seen my post, but instead of replying on the post, she had tweeted to the ether.

So I logged out of Twitter, went to her feed, and searched my name to see her explanation for what MeFites and I were supposed to have done. It is "y'all had your angry posts about what an evil sjw i am used as reasons to go after me and my family on a hate form. nice going!"

By her logic, I should blame Coffeeandink for the death threat I got during Racefail. I don't; I blame whoever it was who sent the death threat, and I blame myself for getting caught up in a flamewar that I should've ignored. Nora appears to have operated in full SJW mode for years, and she finally got someone angry enough to dox her. Now she blames the people who didn't dox her because her approach to justice requires people to laugh and rage at.

I'll end this with a quote by Jay Lake, one of the earlier targets of fandom's SJWs:

"Any cause that requires mockery and abuse to advance itself isn't one I need to engage with, regardless of my basic beliefs or agreement with the underlying goals." -Jay Lake

ETA 4: Actually, not done with this. I wondered if her doxxer had actually cited me, so I went looking for the source and happened on a thread at MetaFilter where Nora asked about being pseudonymous and said she was using her first and middle names. This response is significant:

From shoring up the digital ramparts against hate mobs - harassment feminism gamergate | Ask MetaFilter:

I'm afraid there may be some kind of disconnect here. Did you really say that you're blogging under your real first+middle name (the same as your user name here)? If so, as others have pointed out, doxxing isn't an issue. You've already doxxed yourself. You don't need to worry about protecting your identity (it's already exposed), and can move directly on to the other steps you asked about.
posted by alms at 6:49 AM on February 26, 2015
There seem to be more than a few people in the SJW community who think you don't have to make any effort to be pseudonymous. Whoever "doxxed" her now would not have been able to if she'd taken that advice in 2015 and created a nomme de guerre de justice sociale.

ETA 5: So it looks like a group of people doxed her. They were astonishingly thorough; their archive has dozens of examples of what they hated. They had one comment about Nora that made me smile: "She's also constantly searching for herself and will do opposition research on anyone she comes in contact with, such as scouring their blogs etc." I'm still surprised by how often people accuse others of doing what they secretly do.

Nora, free advice: if "social justice" is your concern, learn from Martin Luther King and Dorothy Day and Helder Camara and treat everyone with respect. You may do some good in the world if you do.

ETA 6: Her MetaFilter post shows that her intention from the beginning was to be noticed: that's why she was seeking advice for how to be a pseudonymous warrior. Yet now that she has been "doxed", instead of blaming the people who revealed her parents' names, she is blaming the people who gave her the attention she sought all along.

ETA 7: I finally have a clue. This appears to do a decent job of explaining the backstory: Randi Harper Labeled a Transphobe After Attacking Social Autopsy Account Fakery. It seems to be mostly about antiGamerGaters fighting among themselves and Nora Reed taking over someone else's discarded Twitter account. Which suggests that the person who "doxed" Nora was one of the antiGamerGaters, and may've included the person whose Twitter account was taken.

ETA 8: And this seems relevant, though the story is becoming stranger and stranger as I look into it: Why Are 'Anti-Abuse' Activists Zoe Quinn and Randi Harper Trying to Protect Anonymous Trolls? - Breitbart

ETA 9: And the story keeps getting stranger. This seems like a reasonable timeline of the events, though the spin is for Quinn and Harper, even though Candace Owens could be correct when she says Quinn is the only person who could've doxed her: The Strange Tale of Social Autopsy, the Anti-Harassment Start-up That Descended Into Gamergate Trutherism.

The one thing I can say with certainty about #GamerGate is that every horrible thing that's been done by one side has been done by the other, too. The history of SJW death threats and doxing can easily be traced to 2008 and may well go back much earlier.

ETA 10: And that, I hope, is far enough down the rabbit hole. I'll do my best to forget about this entire affair now.