Tuesday, September 12, 2017

3 reasons "white privilege" is not like being tall when reaching for tuna on the top shelf

This compares "white privilege" to being tall: Omar Ismail's answer to I am white. That's all you know about me. Am I privileged based on that alone and assuming I am, should I feel guilt and what should I do about it? - Quora

I left three comments there:

This is a perfect example of the way privilege theory ignores class. By making everything about height, it erases the people who own ladders.

And it hides the few people who stand on the backs of most people, whether they're tall or short.

As for comparing height to the ability to get a can of tuna from the top shelf, an even larger erasure is in effect: we’re all squabbling over a can of tuna and failing to ask why the store isn’t a co-op.