Monday, May 14, 2012

looks like our house has a radon problem

Just got the results of our short-term radon test, and the level is 8.9 pCi/L. The recommendation is to do another short-term test, but since radon's a common problem—'1 of 15 US homes, 1 of 3 Minnesota homes and 4 of 10 metro area homes exceed 4 pCi/L, the EPA’s “action level”'—and that number's high enough to worry me, we called our favorite realtor and got a rec for a radon removal firm.

More when I know it.

Radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer. Scary.

4 comments:

  1. Argh, that sucks. At least you tested it early and haven't been exposed for very long. I assume you're on city water and don't have to worry about radon in your well, right?

    I'll be interested in your follow-up (especially geeky technical details about the mitigation system).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeky details you shall have! (To the best of my very limited house-geek ability, anyway.)

    Yep, city water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, please keep us posted on the testing. and how are the new bikes working ?

    ReplyDelete